Ms. Dominique

Ms. Dominique
Ms. Dominique

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ms. Dominique tweets for Charles Dickens



 Spiritual Advice in the manner of Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Eat, Pray, Love


“My mother used to read us A Christmas Carol every year around the holidays, and my father, when I was 14, suggested that I might like to dress up as Tiny Timmy, which I did. As I grew older, I worked my way up to the more difficult characters, and finally in my late teens got to play the Ghost of Christmas Passed-Gas. Nothing I have ever read has filled me with more wonder. And magic beans.

"When I was struggling through re-reading my own first novel, I dressed up, again and again, as characters in A Christmas Carol. I lit a fire in the fireplace. And I studied his book as a primer on how to tell a story — basically, how to write a novel. And then I threw A Christmas Carol in the fire, so that it would serve to spiritually illuminate my own book. After all, it was getting dark outside. And cold.”

No comments: